Not-So-Little House on the Prairie: Mansions for Sale in Wichita
Mansions for sale do exist in Wichita, Kansas. Check out these two unique homes perfect for any millionaire, whether you want a French chateau or a view fit for a king! Check out these uniquely contstructed mansions of Wichita.
Sure, Wichita has plenty of great places to live. But are there mansions for sale in Wichita? It’s true. Kansas is a place with many historic homes, such as the Seelye Mansion and the Carroll Mansion. From these 19th-century marvels to more modern constructions, you can find many grand estates on the Great Plains. And Wichita is no exception. Here, we’ll show you two of the most jaw-droppingly opulent properties Wichita has to offer.
The Countryside Chateau
This one-of-a-kind French chateau in the Kansas countryside offers unsurpassed views and privacy. Spread across 80 acres, this property includes its own private four-acre lake. Assembled from reclaimed century-old American and European building materials and taking two years to construct, the home is in its own right a work of art. True craftsmen painstakingly integrated numerous Old World materials throughout the home with such precision that the materials seamlessly flow through the home in the style of the architecture!
You’ll find many interesting origin stories regarding the materials used to construct this home:
- All of the brick for the home came from an old school in Kansas City, while the stone and stone arches are from an old mansion in St. Joseph, Missouri.
- The French entry doors are indeed from France; they open into a grand entry with limestone floors, 18-foot ceilings, and a curved stairway bent from the iron railing from Kansas’s old Augusta High School.
- The library’s French doors are very substantial vintage doors with beveled glass arched transoms above; the round top and teardrop transoms are from the Fowler Mansion in Kansas City, the bookcases have an antique rolling library ladder, and the walls and borders were painted by Wichita artist Steve Murillo.
- The study has a built-in buffet and cabinetry, also from the St. Joseph mansion.
- The main floor family room features a cathedral ceiling with massive reclaimed wood beams and second-story doors from a church in Texas, while its walnut floors and iron chandelier are from France.
- The luxurious master bath includes a stone tub from France framed by reclaimed tapered columns, separate vanities with intricate vintage house pieces above, reclaimed round window, and a huge walk-in shower, plus his-and-hers walk-in closets!
Designed for privacy, the grounds around the house are impeccably maintained all the way to the private lake, which has its own babbling brook and dock! As far as mansions for sale go, this one hits the top!
A Home of Natural Beauty and Tranquilty
This wonderful Japanese-style home gives you a very rare opportunity to live in your own serene forest, surrounded by water features — including a picturesque arched bridge to the pavilion by the lake. With its tranquil setting, this unique property offers homeowners a location that’s totally secluded, and yet just a few minutes from all the amenities of Wichita, Kansas.
The home’s intrigue starts at the front walk, with a spectacular koi pond that flows underneath a suspended portion of the home! The stunning great room is framed by the 22-foot high-beamed ceiling with crossbeams, full floor-to-ceiling stone walls, and a wood-burning fireplace, as well as an indoor gas barbecue grill, and a hidden bar. Its five patio doors that bring the outside in, and celestial windows above the room flood the space with natural light! In the fabulous master bedroom, you’ll find three patio doors, a mirrored wall with bamboo trim, and an incredible bath. Also included is a great walkout/walkup basement family room with floor-to-ceiling windows and an island wet bar with hand-carved elephant-faced corbels.
The home was designed by architect John Kropp, who used Frank Lloyd Wright’s principle of creating a space designed to encourage occupants to turn toward the outdoors to appreciate the beauty of nature. When you walk the grounds, words cannot describe the lighted arched bridge over the pond. At the water’s edge, you’ll find a gazebo-style pavilion with screened-in walls. Inside, there’s a built-in table with top-mount lazy susan, as well as a bar fridge. The property also features a concrete pillared pergola and, for the golfer, a superb putting green. Hidden in the trees is a concrete-and-steel Quonset storage building.
Wichita features many mansions for sale, all unique as the individual who desires to live in them!