The 10 Commandments of Throwing a Great House Party
Your guide to throwing a great party at home.
One of the greatest joys of owning a home is sharing it with others. Follow these commandments and become the ultimate party host.
1) Thou Shalt Not Drive Yourself Crazy Cleaning Beforehand
Now I am in no way saying your house should be a mess but it is easy to get carried away cleaning before guests come. Focus on the areas you know your guests will be spending time in and tidy up the rest of your home.
2) Thou Shalt Not Run Out of FoodThis is one of the most important rules you must follow. Seriously, is there anything worse than showing up to a party and leaving with a growling stomach? Avoid your guests having to stop at a McDonalds after your party by ensuring you have the right amount of food. Check out this simple chart that tells you how much food and drink to have at your dinner party.
3) Thou Shalt Be a Responsible Party HostIf cocktails are on the menu then please be sure you keep an eye on your guests. Also, don’t forget to have a variety of non-alcoholic beverage on hand like water and various juices and soda.
4) Thou Shalt Have A Plan For Your Pets
If Fido isn’t the friendliest perhaps he should remain separated from the group. Also, if your indoor cat is an escape artist you may want to alert your party goers to ensure they always shut the door behind themselves.
5) Thou Shalt Give Your Neighbors a Heads UpIf your neighbors aren’t invited to your party then it might be a good idea to give them the courtesy of letting them know you will be having a party, especially if it will be outdoors and/or if you plan on having it go late into the night.
6) Thou Shalt Plan A Few Activities
First things first, make sure you introduce everyone to each other if they aren’t already acquaintances. Next, having a 3 page itinerary filled with activities for your party goers isn’t necessary but you should have a few activities planned that you can pull out of your hat if you see people getting bored. For smaller crowds, board and card games are always great ways to pass time. If your party is outdoors you can consider volleyball, horseshoes or cornhole.
7) Thou Shalt Not Forget About the KidsIf you have guest coming with children it is important to give them something to do. Here are 116 awesome ideas.
8) Thou Shalt Use Paper Goods (When Possible)Unless you are having a formal dinner party it is always best to go with paper goods. (recycled if possible!) By doing this you avoid a sink full of dishes, time away from your guests (cleaning them) and the possibility of having your good plates, cups and cutlery thrown away or broken.
9) Thou Shalt Play Music
Having music at your party is a must. Depending on the type of party you have it may even lead to a dance party! Here is a great playlist you can use.