Many who are still without power and heat from Hurricane Sandy have been boiling water in pots on the stove to raise the temperature at home to stay warm. This may be an effective solution however there are serious dangers associated with this that are important to learn about.

Leaving gas burners on for extensive periods of time can lead to high levels of carbon monoxide.  As you may know you cannot see or smell carbon monoxide , but at high levels it can kill a person in minutes. According to Colorado State University, it is the leading cause of poisoning death, with over 500 victims in the United States each year.

Side note: Operating a generator too close to home can also pose as a serious danger to ones health. A generator should never be run near a window.

As temperatures continue to drop we hope you stay warm and stay safe.