Guest Post by Rob Wachter
I can’t deny it… Tony Stark (played by Robert Downey Jr.) is one of my favorite movie characters on the big screen. And based on the scores of people who will pack the theaters on May 3rd for the debut of Iron Man 3, it’s safe to say I’m not the only one!
What I love most about Mr. Stark is that he transformed himself from a greedy, genius narcissistic who only cares about money to a bad-guy-fighting superhero that single handedly privatized world peace (albeit, still a narcissist).
Did you notice, like a teenage tech prodigy on steroids, Stark created his masterpiece from the basement of his own home? Which begs the question, what type of home does Tony Stark prefer? And what’s the story behind that house?
Here are five interesting facts about the superhero’s ultramodern dwelling.
- The residence was inspired by a real-life home designed by the famous architect Wallace E. Cunningham. The 11,000-square-foot house in La Jolla, California is called “The Razor” and took six years to build. It was completed in 2008 and features white polished concrete with spectacular panoramic windows designed to embrace sweeping ocean views. Did you think Tony would settle for anything less?
- The Razor sold for about $14 million. In the movies, however, Stark lives in Malibu where the same home (if it existed there) might be valued at approximately $40 million.
- The Razor has been used in commercials for Calvin Klein and Visa. Do you think Tony uses those brands? Just wondering.
- Stark’s house is depicted on a cliff near Point Dume, which is a state park. So it would be impossible to live in that actual spot. However, if Tony lived somewhere nearby, he might have celebrity neighbors like Barbra Streisand, Pamela Anderson, Owen Wilson, and Kenny G.
- The movie previews seem to indicate the bad guys do major damage to Tony’s home. Perhaps this time the home will be ruined forever.
It makes sense Stark would be attracted to a hyper-modern home with breathtaking views on a private mountain hill. Considering he’s already saved the world twice, I say he deserves it.