Fall Decorating Ideas That Won’t Break the Bank
Fall in New York is a wonderful time of year. The weather is gorgeous and the streets are filled with colorful trees. Bring some of that festivity inside with these fall decorating ideas that won’t break the bank!
Fall in New York is a wonderful season. The weather’s gorgeous and colorful leaves fill the streets. Bring some of that festivity inside with these fall decorating ideas that won’t break the bank!
Use Seasonal Favorites
Your local corner store or bodega has everything you need to decorate your home affordably:
- Pick up a package of corn husks (the kind used to make tamales). Wrap the husks around a wreath form to make an inexpensive and festive corn husk wreath. Home decor blog The Answer Is Chocolate has an easy tutorial.
- Cranberries are a fall staple that can used multiple ways. Fill a large bowl with water, then add cranberries and floating candles. If you have a hurricane vase, place a large candle inside and surround it with cranberries.
- Do you have an apothecary jar collection? Use small pumpkins, gourds, and berries to fill the jars.
Take a walk through Central Park and bring those pretty leaves home. Cover the leaves in glitter or gold spray paint, then string them together for a sparkly leaf garland.
Image Source: http://www.berries.com/
Put Those Holiday Cards to Good Use
Holiday cards should start arriving any moment! Instead of sticking them in a basket, use the cards to decorate your apartment.
- Create a mantel garland. Hang a ribbon or colorful string from your fireplace, then as cards come in, attach them to the garland using mini clothespins.
- Do you have an empty table that needs a little holiday cheer? Fill an empty vase with branches, punch a hole in the cards, and string up the cards.
- If you don’t have a lot of space, attach a festive ribbon to the back of an empty door. Clips cards to it as they arrive.
- Love vintage style? Find an old shutter and use the slats to hold the cards.
Image Source: Flickr/Lauren Manning
Shop Your Kitchen
When you’re looking for fall decorating ideas, don’t forget to check your kitchen.
- Rosemary has a festive look and wonderful scent. Wrap it around a napkin and tie with ribbon or baker’s twine. You now have a simple napkin ring.
- Candy also makes a pretty decoration. Fill bowls of various heights and sizes, sticking to a simple color scheme for an elegant look. Or make a candy-coated wreath by gluing peppermint candies to a wreath form.
- Fill bowls with clove studded oranges. The amazing scent will fill your apartment.
Image Source: Flickr/Fil.Al
Keep It Simple with Paper
Papercraft is a perfect way to add a seasonal touch to your home.
- Create a beautiful star decoration using vintage sheet music (or print your own; just search the Internet for free clip art). Once you have your sheet music (or your printout), follow Krista Sew Inspired’s great step-by-step tutorial.
- If you have a printer, you have access to unlimited holiday art. Search for free holiday printables on Pinterest, then print out your favorites and frame them. It’s that simple!
- Finally, go old-school and make paper snowflakes! Hang the snowflakes in your windows, frame one on a darker backing, or create a garland by stringing a few together. If you need inspiration, Origami Way has free snowflake patterns.
Image Source: Flickr/Kelly Sikkema
With these easy fall decorating ideas, your NYC apartment will be brimming with festivity, and you won’t have to spend a fortune!
Main Image Source: Flickr/Nadia Prigoda-Lee