Apartment Hotels in New York: Are They Right For You?
The idea of staying in apartment hotels in New York may seem intriguing, but maybe you’re not sure exactly what they are or if they even make sense for you. Check out the following to find out if staying in one should be on your list of things to do.
Why use apartment hotels in New York? Picture it: You’re in the market for an apartment in NYC, but you prefer to spend some time here first so that you can look around and suss out different neighborhoods. Or maybe your family will be in town for an extended period to help you with your newborn but your apartment is too small to accommodate the entire clan. Either of these scenarios (and countless others) would make a great case for looking into apartment hotels.
What Exactly Are Apartment Hotels?
Apartment hotels, also referred to as serviced apartments, are furnished apartments in hotel-like buildings that are available to rent by the week, the month, or the year. They’re ideal for people who need more home-like amenities when it comes to their temporary lodgings. They differ from short-term apartment rentals found on sites like Airbnb in that they’re either full-time hotels or they’re blocks of apartments set aside in a (usually) luxury residential building.
Why Stay in an Apartment Hotel?
There are many awesome reasons to stay in an apartment hotel in NYC, including the following:
- They offer tons more amenities than regular hotels. Depending on the one you choose, you can enjoy extras like full kitchens, washer/dryers, and dishwashers. This can allow people to save money by buying and cooking their own food and washing their own clothes.
- They’re furnished, meaning that you can show up with nothing more than a toothbrush and your jammies. This is an especially awesome win-win for people who are moving from overseas or from other places far away and who would like to stay in places that feel less transient than hotels.
- They’re great for people who want to feel like they’re actually living in the city instead of feeling like tourists who are merely popping in and out.
- They’re a great option for people who are looking for the apartment-like features of an Airbnb space but who don’t want to miss out on being pampered the way they would be at a hotel.
Where Can I Find These Magical Spaces?
Here’s how to find a great apartment hotel:
- Speak to a real estate broker. Although many apartment hotels are easy to find online, there are many more options that are not openly advertised. This list of hidden listings includes buildings where the hidden hotel apartments are integrated into existing residential buildings.
- Check out sites like tripadvisor.com. Travel sites devoted to travel and populated by avid travel fans like this often compile lists of the best apartment hotels in the city for travelers looking hotel alternatives.
- Check out condo hotels, condo buildings that are run as hotels. People buy apartments in these hotels and rent them out to short-term or long-term visitors to help recoup some of the costs of ownership.
Before You Commit
Before you plunk down your cash for an apartment hotel, ask yourself the following:
- How much money do you have? Apartment hotels in New York often cost more than comparable traditional apartments since you’re getting the amenities of a hotel and the benefits of a furnished apartment.
- How apartment-like do I need the space to be? Figure out exactly what it is you’re looking for. Some spaces are practically full-blown apartments, so chock-full of the comfort of home that you’ll forget that you’re staying at a hotel, while others provide little more than linens and a kitchenette.
Image Source: Flickr