How Much Is A Well Maintained Lawn Worth?
You Can Add Value to Your Home with a Beautiful Lawn
Guest Post by Bryan Ostlund
Home buying season is here which means homeowners are looking for ways to improve their homes to get the most value.
Did you know that improving the lawn is one of the most cost effective ways to increase property value? Unlike other home improvement projects, landscaping can provide a 100%-200% return on your investment and has been known to increase a home’s overall value by as much as 15 percent.
Lawns are appealing to buyers not only because they are aesthetically pleasing but because they extend the living area of a home, providing an ideal setting for outdoor recreation, entertainment and relaxation. Through the use of sod, grass can also be a quick way to establish natural and self-repairing landscapes perfect for increasing curb appeal when selling a home, or establishing a lawn at a new residence.
Here are some of our best tips for taking care of your lawn:
- Avoid overwatering. Water thoroughly once or twice a week during cooler hours rather than frequent light mistings
- Mow during cooler hours, and only when the grass is dry, to reduce stress on the turf
- Keep mower blades sharp and cut no more than one-third of the grass height at a time.
- Clippings left on the lawn will provide nutrients to the soil, reducing fertilizer requirements.
- Fertilize at least once a year. The type and timing will be determined by the grass variety and the climate, so talk to a turf expert at your local garden center for advice.
- The best defense against weeds is a thick lawn. Lawn grasses will easily outcompete weeds when the conditions favor the grass.
- Talk to a turf expert. Weeds are often an indication of a soil problem that is making the ground more hospitable to weeds than to your grass.
For homeowners who want to ensure that their lawns deliver full aesthetic, recreational and economic value, Grass Seed USA, a national coalition of grass seed farmers and agricultural educators, offers the following tips for growing a healthy, attractive lawn (linked here).
Bryan Ostlund is executive director of Grass Seed USA, a national coalition of grass seed farmers and academic turf specialists that seeks to inform and educate residential and commercial customers about the benefits of grass and best practices for responsibly growing and maintaining healthy turf. For more information, visit www.weseedamerica.com or connect on Twitter @weseedamerica.