International Moves: What Determines The Price?
A simple guide that breaks down what determines the price of a complex international move.
The following is a guest post written by Chief of Organized Living & NorthStar Moving Company Co-Founder Laura McHolm.
Whether moving from Los Angeles to Paris or moving from Texas just an hour south into Mexico—it’s an international move! As international moves are more complex, there is often confusion as to what determines the price of an international move. Here is a simple guide to answer that #1 question when moving to another country:
Factors that affect the price of international moves:
- How many things do you need to move?
- Which country are you moving to?
- When you are moving? Think of it like airplane tickets; the busier the time, the more expensive the ticket. Usually, moving companies are the busiest in the summer and at the end of the month.
- Do you need Door to Door service or Door to Port service?
- Door to Door service includes arranging for custom clearance and delivery to any address in the world.
- Door to Port service saves you money, but only gets your belongings to the port or airport of your choice. You must arrange the final delivery yourself.
- Do you want an exclusive container for your shipment? Or, is the consolidation of your smaller shipment with other overseas clients’ shipments acceptable?
- Will your belongings need to stay in the moving company’s storage while you’re getting your new place ready?
Best Money Saving Tip:
The best way to truly save on the cost of an international move is to choose a moving company based on their reputation. Make sure they have provided stellar service to their clients for years.
Laura McHolm is a home organization, moving & storage expert and co-founder of NorthStar Moving Company. NorthStar Moving Company is an award winning, “A+” rated company, which specializes in providing eco-luxury moving and storage services. www.northstarmoving.com
Senior Manager, Content & Multimedia at Coldwell Banker Real Estate LLC. In his role he manages content strategy and execution across several platforms. He’s held other roles within the Marketing Department ranging from Previews & Product Development to the day to day management of the coldwellbanker.com redesign. Besides being a marketer, Gustavo is a filmmaker, musician and writer.