45 Things You Do at Home that Are Driving Your Housemate Crazy
How many of these are you guilty of?
I have a few (OK maybe more than a few) annoying habits at home that drive my husband absolutely crazy. He actually calls them my “antics.” At the top of his list is me leaving my sneakers right in front of the door which he trips over pretty much anytime he comes in our home’s side door. (Oops) It got me thinking about all of the things we do at home to annoy our housemates whether they are your significant others, kids or parents.
These items range from ugh that was annoying to don’t bother coming home tonight. How many are you guilty of?
- Leaving half-full glasses of water, coffee, soda, etc. around the house.
- Leaving a wet towel on floor. Even worse THE BED!
- Piling stuff into a garbage can because you are too lazy to take the trash out.
- Leaving that piece of clothing that missed the laundry basket by just a few inches on the floor.
- Asking where something is without bothering to look.
- Leaving crumbs or a mess on counter that was literally just cleaned.
- Turning the A/C on 60 when it is 65 degrees out and turning A/C off when it is 95 degrees out. What is wrong with your body temperature?!
- Leaving the dishes in the sink.
- Leaving the toilet seat up. Have you ever “fallen in”? It’s less than pleasant.
- Using the same knife for the peanut butter AND jelly jar without a wash/wipe in between. Jelly –> Wash –>Peanut Butter
- Leaving water on the bathroom floor. Ugh cold gross water.
- Forgetting to switch a load of wash into the dryer. If you can’t commit to washing, drying and folding just forget it.
- Leaving hair in the shower drain. Gag! Yea ladies I’m talking to you.
- Tracking dirt into the house. FYI you make it worse by denying it.
- Putting a drink container with less than a sip left back into the fridge.
- Eating left overs that don’t belong to you. I thought about that slice of pizza the entire ride home!
- Leaving your clothes all over the house. Hang it up or fold it because the floor is not an option.
- Using the last of the soap and not replacing it.
- Shoes EVERYWHERE. Nuff said.
- Taking the remote control OUT OF THE ROOM it belongs in.
- Leaving drawers open. Thanks to you I have added yet another bruise to the area above my knee.
- Not replacing the toilet paper.
- Putting the toilet paper ON TOP of the old roll. Finish the job!
- Dropping ice on the floor and kicking it to the side. Hi, ice melts and now my socks are wet.
- Leaving the shower button pulled up when you shut the water off. You do realize how awful it is for the next person right? Goes in to turn on shower water and gets shock of cold shower water all over hair.
- Deleting someone’s DVR’ed show to make room for your own.
- Leaving all of the lights on in the house. A few fine..but really all of them?!
- Ignoring the fact that a light bulb is burned out. It isn’t going to replace itself.
- Leaving only crumbs in a bag of chips and putting them back in the cupboard.
- Never locking the door. Uh hellloo…why don’t you just invite the bad guys in to take our things?
- Throwing mail away before the other person can read it. Don’t just assume I wasn’t interested in the $300 offer from United credit cards even though I have ignored the last 50 offers they sent.
- Leaving left overs in the fridge for days.
- Spilling something in the fridge and not wiping it up. What in the world is that sticky brown goop?
- Shoving Tupperware into a cabinet so it falls out on the next victim that opens the door.
- Letting your alarm go off for an hour. You have a 3 snooze grace period before I throw your phone out of the window.
- Squeezing the toothpaste so the container is all twisted and broken.
- Talking on the phone in the same room someone is trying to watch TV. Did you not get the hint the first 3 times I turned the volume louder?
- Putting things away in the wrong kitchen drawers. Only takes me an hour to find the vegetable peeler every day.
- Increasing the TV volume during a sports game to deafening levels.
- Walking right past the empty garbage can at the end of the drive-way. Yes, the garbageman emptied it. Don’t act like you didn’t see it there.
- Using the house computer and logging out of the other person’s email/social media accounts. Ugh! I don’t even remember my password for that!
- Taking up more than your fair share of half of the bed.
- Not cleaning plates before tossing in the sink. Fact: when you don’t rinse off that oatmeal it literally turns into food cement.
- Possessing less than stellar DVR remote skills. Forgetting to fast forward and/or just going too far into program, then rewinding too far back, repeat=loss of remote privileges.
- Stealing ALL of the covers. Get your own or sleep on the couch.
Sick of living with people who do these things? We can help you find a place of your own 🙂
Lindsay is the the Director of Media Engagement for Coldwell Banker Real Estate and manages the brand’s media and social media department. She is also a licensed real estate professional. In 2017 & 2018, she was named a top 20 social influencer in the real estate industry in the annual Swanepoel 200 power rankings.
Lindsay lives in Livingston, NJ with her college sweetheart and now husband Joe and rwelcomed another Joe into her life as she became a mom in June 2016.